.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

 

Main: AndFarAway.net


Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Nerds. Make. Better. Lovers.



As a teenager, I had always considered myself to be a nerd, except unlike popular opinion, I never thought that being a nerd was a bad thing. I was always top tier in anything I ever did, I was always a straight-A student, all my homework were always perfectly done, and I always wanted to understand every single thing possible. Perfectionist, I guess you can say. Or over-achiever. But I personally preferred, and still prefer, the rawness of the word "nerd", which I proudly labeled myself as, ignoring the pink hair, the over-pierced ears, the obnoxious loudness, the bright red glasses, the baggy jeans and tiny tops. You see, I was also the ultimate multi-hair-colored mean airhead- I ditched all the time, there was never a party that I didn't dance in, I was a bully to losers, and there was never a fashion trend that I didn't try.

Contradiction? I think not- it's just that people are stupid at labeling.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that labeling is bad, I actually think it's good, sorta like corporate branding, it's just that people are stupid at making good use of it. You choose the labels according to what you're comfortable with- that is, labeled people.

Anyhow, highschool finished, and art school started, and although the A's and perfect homework keep rolling in, you can simply never be a nerd in art school, because people just don't label the part of the populace wasting their time with colors and stuff as nerds. So I became labeled a geek (never by the real geeks mind you, because to them, I'm just an artsy-fartsy impractical wheeee-lover who doesn't know about anything but colors and stuff).

I'm really not comfortable with labeling myself with the word "Geek" though, because I don't feel like I have earned it. Yeah, sure, I do spend way too much time on the computer, I have met a lot of my very good friends through the bits and bytes of cyberspace, I am obsessed with The Lord of the Rings, and I do know way too many things about geeky-stuff that a 21-year-old female studying fine arts and design really does not need to know. But I don't know PHP, do I? I don't use Linux either. Or watch Star Wars.

But then again, the fact that I've been sitting trying to "blog" these thoughts for the past 2 hours at 3:35 AM on a weekday may as well make up for all of the above, and I'm still trying to figure out where to fit in the two very things that influenced this post. Ok, I guess that sort of makes space below doesn't it?

The first influence was a podcast about labels- who are you? After discussing labels, they end the cast with, "Listen in, and then tell us, what does your label say?"

The second influence was much cooler and which probably deserved a post all about it (and as you can tell from the title, this post was meant to be all about it), it's an article entitled "Nerds Make Better Lovers" (via Saudi Jeans). And really, they do.

Perhaps a year back, Linda wrote a post asking people what their ideal mate was, and I wrote a whole long post that, for some reason or another, I never got to publish. Excerpt:

"Generally, the most important thing in "my perfect man" is brains, to an extreme degree. I just go ga-ga for a person who is well educated, well read, and socially, politically, culturally and scientifically aware. I actually consider it an enjoyable experience when I'm around a person who can challenge me intellectually, who knows a lot about everything, and who always has an answer. I don't think I can do with someone who can't teach me something new everyday.

I also find passion [adj : having or expressing strong emotions] a necessary trait, and not in the romantic sense. I am, by nature, excessively passionate, and so I generally find it impossible to comprehend the mentalities of average-achievers, the jaded, and the smug. I believe that passion is the road to success, and success- not particularly a financial one mind you, but one in a much broader sense- is vital to me. I respect someone who has reached a certain level with who he and where he is in life."


That's pretty much a part of the definition of "geek", "nerd" and "overachiever". And I hold that true to my heart.

Ok, enough blabbing, it's 4:00 AM and I have to wake up in 3 hours. You know, I'm actually a very untalkative person in real life- I'd usually rather just listen.

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home