.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


Main: AndFarAway.net

Friday, May 13, 2005

And I smell like a Cuban cigar...

This evening, I went to see a friend who I haven't seen in a while and who I was rather missing, but I ended up watching a game of chess. People who listen to good music and still enjoy playing chess fascinate me...

Anyhow, moving on to the Cuban cigar, I won't whine about it in particular because you go to certain places knowing that the right belongs to the smokers, and anyhow (on too light a note), a Cuban cigar doesn't smell all that bad...

But seriously now, one of the worst things about living in Amman is that you can't go anywhere without coming back reeking like smoke, and it's really annoying for the secondhand smokers like me.

In Jordan, the average number inhaled by a smoker per year is 1,832 cigarettes, and no one respects "No smoking" rules as the rule-makers break their own rules. Consequently, I inhale the smoke filled air everywhere I go- in the mall, in the "nonsmokers" section of the restaurant, in public transport, heck, even at school. Smoke contains over 3,000 chemicals, at least 50 of which are known and identified carcinogens. Only 15% of smoke is inhaled by the smoker. The other 85% goes directly into the air to be inhaled by nonvoluntary nonsmokers- inhaled by me.

I really wish someone would do something about this, because if the smokers are okay with killing themselves by smoking their life away, I personally do not want to live through lung cancer and heart disease. It's really all too sad anyway, because I love a good portion of these smokers- among them are great people with great minds (hint, hint).

And for heaven's sake, don't give me that "does anything else burn itself away to please you?" argument. I'm quite sick of hearing it.

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home